JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Arlington, Virginia, UNITED STATES
C1 -- Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
D -- Microeconomics
H -- Public Economics
I1 -- Health
I2 -- Education and Research Institutions
J -- Labor and Demographic Economics
K -- Law and Economics
L -- Industrial Organization
Q4 -- Energy
Q5 -- Environmental Economics
Full Text of JOE Listing:
CNA is a non-profit organization specializing in providing objective analyses to government agencies and foundations. We have conducted such research for the Navy and Marine Corps for over 70 years, and much of our work continues to be with the Department of Defense. We also work on projects for the Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security, and Justice as well as other agencies and foundations.
The Resources and Force Readiness Division of CNA works on projects to support the Navy and Marine Corps, as well as other sponsors in the Department of Defense. Our projects focus on the development and assessment of policies, programs, processes, and practices affecting the effective and efficient use of military resources.
CNA is seeking candidates with a background in applied Microeconomics, especially in the areas of labor, education, health, behavioral, energy, environment, or industrial organization. Applicants should possess or be nearing completion of a Ph.D. in Economics and have a strong quantitative background in parametric or nonparametric econometrics and/or machine learning. Additionally, applicants should have an interest in applied, policy-oriented research, and the ability to write, speak, and present in a clear and concise format.
As a Research Analyst, you will provide analysis to help develop, evaluate, and implement policies, practices, and programs that make people, budgets, and assets more effective and efficient. Major research areas include workforce management, energy and environment, materials management, budget and execution, infrastructure, and military readiness. All of our analyses are aimed at addressing our government sponsors’ problems; whether it is through empirical research or modeling and simulation work, we provide our sponsors with solutions that make a difference.
1. Develop sound analytic frameworks and associated analytic methodologies/ techniques for addressing both structured and unstructured problems. Consistently produce high quality analysis.
2. Develop and maintain broad, general institutional knowledge of primary clients/sponsors and their culture, organization, and issues.
3. Interact with sponsors/clients under the supervision of an experienced colleague.
4. Maintain strong client relationships through high quality work, briefings, and written reports.
5. Communicate results of work in a clear and concise fashion. Effectively communicate one-on-one and in groups. Effectively present work to colleagues, sponsors, and small audiences that are familiar with content.
6. Work with a team on colleagues on focused, well-structured pieces of projects. Work under closer supervision on more complex, less-structured tasks under the direction of a Research Director.
7. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues and clients/sponsors. Provide clear guidance to colleagues on tasks. Take responsibility for own actions and outcomes.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience. Currently possess or be nearing completion of a Ph.D. in Economics preferred.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements Ph.D. & 0+ years or Master’s & 2+ years of experience in research and analysis.
3. Skills: Ability to make significant contributions to projects/analyses; Strong analytic curiosity/ creativity; Ability to operate independently in the execution of assignments; Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; Strong critical thinking skills; Knowledge of research techniques; Strong planning and organizational skills; Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; Ability to interact positively and somewhat independently with clients.
4. Other: Ability to obtain & maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance
- External Application URL and Instructions Below
• Research Papers
• Letters of Reference
Application deadline: 01/31/2020
Additional Information for Applicants:
In order for you to officially be considered for the position, we invite you to take the following actions: Apply online at the URL Provided