JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020
Position Title/Short Description
Section: International: Other Academic (Visiting or Temporary)
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Public health policy
Full Text of JOE Listing:
Hitotsubashi University is a national research university located in Tokyo, embracing every field of the social sciences with particular emphasis on economics and commerce, and is known for its world-class research excellence.
The University established the Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study (HIAS) in 2014 with the aim of strengthening a worldwide research network of social sciences and serving as a hub of the research network. The Research Center for Health Policy and Economics (HIAS Health) is a part of HIAS and is progressing research in key areas of health economics to advance national and international health policies. HIAS Health currently hosts twelve researchers with diverse disciplines in the social sciences for health related research, including economics, management, sociology and public health.
HIAS Health is seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor or a Research Associate, who will initially and primarily work on research in the following topics:
• Global health
• Health behavior and public health policy
• Healthcare financing and management
• Determinants of mental and physical health
• Economic evaluations of health and care technologies
Assistant Professor/Research Associate will conduct research in the above key areas, participating existing projects as well as developing new research programs. Their roles in HIAS Health are:
1. To contribute to health policy research in low and middle income countries, including research to help advance universal health coverage.
2. To contribute to coordination of research with national and international research institutes, governments and donners.
3. To contribute to other research and education at HIAS Health
In order to fulfil their roles, applicants are expected to have the following skills and experiences:
1. A PhD in relevant area (applicants who are expected to receive a PhD within six months after their starting date may also be considered).
2. Ability and willingness to conduct empirical research in health policy, e.g. implementing surveys, econometric analysis, economic evaluation of health interventions, etc. Experiences in global health research are not mandatory.
3. Ability and willingness to publish research articles in international peer-reviewed journals; and to deliver competitive proposals for external research grants.
4. Ability and willingness to work in an international research environment; and to work as part of a team.
Hitotsubashi University is an equal-opportunity employer.
- Application Instructions Below
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Application Form
Download the form here.
4. Two reference letters (the letters must be sent directly from the referees by email at hias-info@ by the application deadline)
All documents must be written in English or Japanese.