JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2016 - January 31, 2017
The Urban Institute
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Locations: Washington DC, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
Georgetown, District of Columbia, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: H0 -- General
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The nonprofit Urban Institute is dedicated to elevating the debate on social and economic policy. For nearly five decades, Urban scholars have conducted research and delivered evidence-based solutions that improve lives and strengthen communities across a rapidly urbanizing world. Our objective research helps expand opportunities for all, reduce hardship among the most vulnerable, and strengthen the effectiveness of the public sector.
The Metropolitan Housing and Communities Policy Center is currently seeking a Research Associate I to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and/or undertaking quantitative studies and managing projects on a variety of topics relating to housing, communities, poverty, and other urban issues. Candidates who have demonstrated experience with applied econometrics are preferred.
• Develop or participate in developing research topics, proposals, and research designs
• Select appropriate statistical techniques to analyze collected data, supervise and/or participate in data collection and analysis by less senior research staff,
• Interpret data from a policy perspective
• Maintain project budgets and manage resources for segments of research projects under his/her responsibility, supervise less senior researchers,
• Translate research for policymakers and other stakeholders.
• Manage project schedules, budgets, and assist with proposals.
• Assist with delivering training and technical assistance services to various stakeholders as needed.
• Participate in writing final reports and presenting results to clients.
Educational and related work experience:
• PhD in Economics, Public Policy, or other Quantitative discipline
• Outstanding writing ability
• Strong oral communication skills
• Good organization and the ability to work effectively on multiple projects at once
Knowledge and Competencies
• Strong background in and experience with applied econometrics
• Strong presentation and communication skills
• Proficiency with SAS, Stata, R and/or similar analytical software or programming experience
The Urban Institute strives to be a vibrant, creative community of skilled and committed people who bring to their work a whole range of different experiences. Accordingly, the Urban Institute is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under applicable law.
The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer -- Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.
To learn more about the Urban Institute and its work, please visit .
- Writing Samples
- Cover Letter