JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
February 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016
University of Maryland and Merck & Co., Inc.
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Other Academic (Visiting or Temporary)
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy’s Pharmaceutical Health Services Research Department, in collaboration with Merck, Center for Observational and Real-World Evidence (CORE), is seeking applications for a two-year postdoctoral fellowship program in health economics and outcomes research (HEOR). Upon completion of the fellowship program, the Fellow will develop analytical skills to conduct and communicate research that utilizes HEOR strategies and methodologies. Ultimately, the program is designed to prepare the Fellow to become an independent researcher capable of working in either the pharmaceutical industry or academia.
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is among the Top 10 Schools of Pharmacy according to the 2015 U.S. News & World Report rankings. The Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research’s mission is “to improve health among diverse populations through health services and other drug-related research, education, service and community The Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research houses approximately 12 faculty members, 30 graduate students and 10 postdoctoral fellows.
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. As part of our global team, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
During the two-year program, the Fellow will gain exposure to HEOR principles, competencies, and skills and apply these skills in the generation of real-world evidence in health care specifically the pharmaceutical industry. The first year will provide an HEOR academic focus (with University of Maryland in Baltimore, MD) and the second year will provide an HEOR industry focus (with Merck in Upper Gwynedd, PA).
• Develop didactic understanding of HEOR applications in the pharmaceutical industry
• Gain practical experience developing HEOR strategies and conducting HEOR research
• Establish the ability to leverage HEOR methods to address research questions
• Enhance experience in presentations and publications in high impact factor peer-reviewed journals
• Gain experience in project coordination/management and driving to results
• Gain experience in establishing, growing and influencing relationships in matrix and inter-disciplinary
• Participate in research grant/proposal writing
The candidate’s education or work experience must be in a relevant discipline, including but not limited to:
• PhD in Economics, Health Economics, Health Services Research, Epidemiology, Public Health, Operations
Research, Mathematics, Statistics / Biostatistics or relevant quantitative field or other doctorate degree
(e.g., MD, PharmD) combined with at least a Master’s degree
The candidate must possess the following skills/ experience:
• Strong research methods and statistical analysis skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Good understanding of major market reimbursement systems, current health policy topics and working
knowledge of health economics
• Working knowledge of the health care industry (e.g., drug development, payer environment, US health care
• Execution of research, analyses and/or constructing deliverables
• High energy level, positive attitude, collaborative, and output-driven
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, with SAS and/or STATA experience
C. Daniel Mullins, PhD
Professor and Chair
Pharmaceutical Health Services Research Department
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
220 Arch Street, 12th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Stephanie D. Taylor, PhD
Center for Observational and Real World Evidence (CORE)
Merck & Co., Inc.
600 Corporate Drive
Lebanon, New Jersey 08833 USA
The University of Maryland Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Letters of Reference
- Writing Sample
- Cover Letter