JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
Position Title/Short Description
Section: US: Full-Time Academic (Permanent, Tenure Track or Tenured)
Location: UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
health services research
health care financing and coverage
aging and long-term care
quality, safety and delivery system improvement
Full Text of JOE Listing:
The Department of Health Policy at Vanderbilt University's School of Medicine is searching for Assistant and Associate Professor candidates.
The Department of Health Policy was established in 2013 and includes former Department of Preventive Medicine faculty. The combination of a major research university and preeminent medical center gives Department faculty incredible opportunities to build relationships with frontline care providers and policymakers which can lead to breakthrough discoveries. Faculty interests include health care financing; insurance design and coverage; aging and long-term care; delivery system improvement; provider payment; health services research; pharmacoepidemiology; cancer epidemiology; and infectious diseases. The Department is built on the premise that research and innovative thinking should guide health policy and help policymakers to understand implications of their choices.
The Department benefits from Vanderbilty's single campus with close proximity to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the depth and breadth of health-related research conducted across the University, and its location in the state capital.
The Department currently offers the Master of Public Health (MPH) degree including a Health Policy track and a doctoral program is planned. More about our faculty and programs can be found on the Health Policy departmental website.
- Application Instructions Below
• A Ph.D. in economics, health services research, statistics, public policy, public health, or doctoral degree in a related field;
• A demonstrated expertise in health policy research; and
• The potential to attract external funding for their research.
Successful applicants must be excited to work within a new department to develop educational and research programs in a collegial and collaborative environment.
Candidates for full Professor and candidates with an MD/MPH or similar degree may also be considered and are encouraged to apply. In addition, the Department of Health Policy is exploring options for joint recruiting in the areas of cancer prevention and post-acute care policy with the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center and the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, respectively. Applicants whose expertise falls into one of these areas should mention in their cover letter an interest in a potential joint appointment.
• Applicants who are doctoral candidates or new PhDs should have their 3 confidential letters of recommendation sent directly to
• Other candidates should provide full contact information for their references in the online application (full names, phone numbers, addresses and contact information)
The following items are required in your online application:
• A cover letter of interest describing how you meet the criteria above – please also specify if you will be attending the upcoming APPAM or AEA meeting
• A full academic CV / resume
• Three (3) names and letters of recommendation if an Assistant Professor candidate
• Three (3) names of potential references if a candidate is at the Associate level or above
• A manuscript that exemplifies the type of research you plan to conduct in the future
Salary and start-up packages will be highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
Applications will be accepted through December 31st for the upcoming academic year; candidates are encouraged to apply by December 1st.
Please contact healthpolicychair@ for more information.