JOE Listings (Job Openings for Economists)
August 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
Position Title/Short Description
Section: Full-Time Nonacademic
Location: Seattle, Washington, UNITED STATES
JEL Classification: 00 -- Default: Any Field
Full Text of JOE Listing:
strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
Economists at Amazon have the opportunity to partner with senior economists at Amazon including chief economist Pat Bajari. You will also engage with senior management on key business problems faced in retail, international retail, cloud computing, third party merchants, search, Kindle, streaming video, and operations. The economics team has openings for applied time series economist with strong theoretical foundations. Time series econometricians with strong applied experience in forecasting are especially encouraged to apply. You will apply economic theory to build econometric models, and prototype scalable implementations in partnership with technical teams, using Amazon’s world class data systems. You should be able to formalize problem definitions from ambiguous requirements, determine if existing academic research can be extended, and propose solutions to non-standard problems. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company. The economics community at Amazon has grown tremendously in the past few years and we are recruiting for roles company-wide to satisfy demand for high caliber economists.
Salaries will be competitive and will include equity compensation.
Please send application packet to economist-joe-2015@ . In your cover letter, indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as October 2015.
We recruit on a rolling basis and Amazon will be at the AEA/ASSA conference in San Francisco but will certainly consider candidates prior to the January 2016 conference.
Please visit to learn more!
• PhD in Economics or anticipating completion of a PhD Economics by August 2016
• PhD in Economics, Finance or related field, or anticipating completion of a PhD by August 2016
• Deep training in theoretical time series along with applied time series experience – for applied econometricians with less time series experience please apply to our other postings.
• Strong theoretical background in econometrics (e.g., forecasting, time series, panel data, program evaluation, and/or high dimensional problems), probability and statistics, economic theory, and quantitative methods
• Strong empirical research track record in applied macroeconomics, econometrics, finance, labor economics, public economics, industrial organization, or a related field
• Proficiency in at least one of the following statistical software packages: Stata, Matlab, R
• Two to three years of experience in private sector, consulting, government, or in academic research
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams and business audiences
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
• Experience with programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, Ruby, and /or Big Data processing platforms such Hadoop, Map Reduce, Spark is a plus.
• Experience operating in a Linux/Unix environment preferred.
Amazon is an Equal-Opportunity Employer
- Application Instructions Below
- Letters of Reference Instructions Below
In your cover letter, please also indicate your preferred start date. We will consider candidates with start dates as early as October 2015 and as late as August 2016.