+1 vote
asked ago in General Economics Questions by (140 points)
I got my bachelor's in economics and am considering going back to school to get my master's in economics so that I can work as an economist. My concern is that I have some problems with my hands and wrists that make typing on a keyboard for long periods of time very difficult. I am not opposed to desk jobs or even typing on a computer for an hour or two a day, but a job that requires typing for many hours per day is probably not realistic for me.

I am wondering if there are any jobs in economics that I could I get with a master's that would not involve an extensive amount of typing. I understand that most economists do a lot of statistical analysis which requires programming in languages like R or Python, but my hope is that there are some jobs that would require a lot more thinking, reading, planning, etc. than actually typing out code or writing about results.

Thank you to anyone who is able to shed some light on this and help me figure out a career that is going to be sustainable.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered ago by (410 points)
That's a good question, and I'm not sure. Perhaps you can try asking again (I'm not an economist)? Economists write a lot, so have you thought of using voice recognition software? You could then maybe hire someone to clean it up a little for you. Or perhaps PT for your hands and wrists or play around with different mice and keyboards? Sorry I gave you more questions than answers!