0 votes
asked ago in General Economics Questions by (120 points)
I graduated with a degree in economics from a state school, but am missing some of the upper level math coursework needed for competency at the PhD level. I'm currently working and would like to take math courses online at a college, but find that these courses are typically very expensive. Are there more affordable alternatives that would dismiss any suspicion, on part of the adcom, of my mathematics capabilities?

3 Answers

0 votes
answered ago by (1.8k points)
I'm not sure if this can help you.

I'm strengthening my Math knowledge with a long distance university books. I live in Spain at the moment, so I can't recommend any good long distance college books to you in America. You can do a research. I'll buy a book regarding diferential equations and other about econometrics soon (I'm not doing the official course) . They are well explained and you can buy other books as reinforcement if you need it. I'm sure that there have to be good Math books related to economics in Amazon.
+2 votes
answered ago by (1.8k points)
I would argue there are two considerations to your question. The level of math that you need for a PhD in economics depends mostly in your interests and fields you would want to work on. Moreover, the kind of math becomes more important than the level by area of research. The second aspect of it, which you might be more concerned with is the signal issue. For that, it might depend on what the departments you would like to apply value. For learning math, community colleges have proven to provide high quality education and accessible. Certain online classes can be taken for free or very reasonable fees. A sophisticated department might properly value that experience, but others might require for example a pre-doctoral program or a pre-PhD masters. I agree that teaching yourself math can be a valuable exercise, not only to learn math, but as preparation for dissertation phase and your life afterwards.
commented ago by (3k points)
Agreed! The "cheapest" way is without a doubt self study. MOOC, problem sets posted on public course websites, and used text books are all practically free. But an important question for you is will this be effective for your situation? Do you have the self-discipline to successfully self study. (I do not!) AND will you actually be able to get into a PhD program you want to go to? Depending on your application, the lack of upper-level math classes on your transcript may close many doors. If either of these are true, it may be worthwhile to look for more formal solutions. (ie classes or a some type of masters)
+1 vote
answered ago by (330 points)
Khan academy